Mikael Persson wrote:

Hm, I am entering utf8 code. I am not sure how it got converted in the
email, however, when I type my .tex file I am sure that it is in
utf-8. But you mean that this example should work?

I attatch the testfile and the resulting pdf and logs and so on...

tracing shows that the utf part is okay:

\enableregime[utf]

% \definetypeface [russian]
%   [rm] [serif] [computer-modern] [default] [encoding=t2a]
%
% \setupbodyfont[russian]

\starttext

\startbuffer
Мама и Папа % Some russian characters
\stopbuffer

\chardef\utfunicodetracer=0 \blank \getbuffer \blank
\chardef\utfunicodetracer=2 \blank \getbuffer \blank
\chardef\utfunicodetracer=7 \blank \getbuffer \blank

\stoptext

but i cannot test the font part, can you send me a zip with your t2a tfm files and map file and enc file?