Peter Münster wrote:

If Ruby is necessary to make the minimal linux package offered on Pragma functional it would be helpful to specify that in the readme. I thought the Pragma Linux TeX package was self-contained. It would also be helpful if a fmtutil.cnf file were included so that fmtutil would work.

I will try downloading ruby from somewhere, installing that and moving forward. If that doesn't work then I will give up on the Pragma minmal distro. It is a good idea, but it doesn't work correctly.

About one week ago, I installed the latest teTeX-beta (about 100 MB to
download). And now I checked for usage of ruby:
ls -lu `which ruby`
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         5363 Sep 23  2003 /usr/bin/ruby

So, it seems, ruby wasn't needed...

I've just made a little script for my brother to install the newest teTeX
on SuSE (should work also for other distributions).
Perhaps you'll find it useful, so I attach it to this message. Just run it
as root and then log in again to get the right PATH.
There is also the latest version of pdfTeX.

nowadays perl, python and ruby are present on must linux systems as well as macosx; on windows there are good installers so that should not be a problem as well;

currently in context, texexec, texutil, texfont and texshow are perl scripts, while the rest is ruby; i'm moving code from texutil to some ruby counterparts, and some day soon i'll split/cleanup texexec as well [but i will keep things downward compatible]; texfont is in the process of cleanup [wybo cleaned up the code and i will pick up that thread once i've finished some way-behind work]

in principle, one can expect perl, python and ruby scripts as part of the context distribution, since all have their benefits