Adam Lindsay wrote:
Hi Matt.

I don't have a total solution, but I think you were much closer than you
thought.

Matt Gushee said this at Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:40:22 -0700:

 * Use negative dimensions to cause the header and footer to overlap
   the text area, e.g.:

    \setuplayout [...,headerdistance=-0.35in,footerdistance=-0.5in]

As I said, this comes very close to the desired effect, but it seems impossible to correctly align the header text and page numbers with the main text.

How about this:

\setuppapersize[A4,landscape][A4,landscape]
\setuplayout[width=16cm,rightedge=\marginwidth]
\setuplayout[headerdistance=-2\lineheight,
                 header=2\lineheight,
                 footerdistance=-2\lineheight,
                 footer=2\lineheight,
                 height=middle]
\setupheadertexts[margin][section][]
\setupfootertexts[margin][pagenumber][]
\setuphead[section][page=yes]
\starttext
\showframe
\section{one}
\section{two}

You had it pretty much right, you just need to make sure that the text
blocks reach the bottom, a la the grid or \setupalign[line] stuff on the
list these past weeks.

Actually, at first, I thought this was a job for texttexts (weird, yeah,
but in the manual...), but I have not idea how to move those up and down,
where you want them.

And that rightedge block isn't really relevant here, but it looks nice on
the page. :)
\section{three}
\setuptext[margin][style=bold]
\setuptexttexts[margin][section][pagenumber]
\section{four}
\stoptext

you can play with ...

\startsetups one

\vbox to \textheight \bgroup

  \strut \getmarking[section]
  \vfill
  \strut \pagenumber

\egroup

\stopsetups

\setuptexttexts[margin][\setups{one}][\setups{two}]

etc