Adam, I feel like a complete idiot now. I had been so proud about this idea, but after re-reading you MyWay about OpenType, I see that I had been reinventing the wheel: this is exactly the solution you had been suggesting almost two years ago. Thanks for being generous about this...

However, your post made me think: I know nothing about XSLT, but enough perl to shoot myself in the foot. I guess if I had a version of texnansi.enc with the unicode values in addition to the names, that would be a good starting point. I was thinking of this route:
1. use ftxdumperfuser to produce cmap.xml,
2. use perl to reduce it to two values: glyphName % UNICODE_VALUE
3. use perl to extract the lines corresponding to a given encoding and put them in the right order.

Sounds feasible? Do you know where I could get such a unicode-aware version of texnansi.enc?

Best

Thomas