Duncan Hothersall wrote:
I said:

So - is there a parameter which represents the current width of the layout area, taking into account itemisations, textbackgrounds and anything else? Thanks.

I came up with a rather ugly kludge which solves my immediate problem but might not be best. I created a new dimen, \RealWidth, and before each table I set it to the value of \textwidth minus leftskip minus rightskip. In other words, I did this:

--
\newdimen\RealWidth
\definetextbackground[TestBackground]

\leavevmode\RealWidth=\textwidth\advance\RealWidth by-\leftskip\advance\RealWidth by-\rightskip\bTABLE
\setupTABLE[column][1][width=0.3\RealWidth]
\setupTABLE[column][2][width=0.7\RealWidth]
\bTR\bTD I was hoping\eTD
\bTD that this table would make itself narrower according to the
background offsets, like the text does. And now it does!\eTD\eTR
\eTABLE}
\stoptextbackground

This produces what I want as far as I have tested it. I'm not sure it's the best or most comprehensive solution though.

kind of; an alternative is:

\startlinecorrection % needed anyway
\setlocalhsize \hsize\localhsize
\dontleavehmode \bTABLE
\setupTABLE[column][1][width=0.3\hsize]
\setupTABLE[column][2][width=0.7\hsize]
\bTR\bTD I was hoping\eTD
\bTD that this table would make itself narrower according to the
background offsets, like the text does. And now it does!\eTD\eTR
\eTABLE
\stoplinecorrection

auto adaption is kind of tricky here because