Dear cartel,

>===== Original Message From "Thomas A.Schmitz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
=====
What does

>kpsewhich -var-value TEXMFLOCAL
>produce?

1.I have 2 trees: C:\Context (from mswintex.zip) and C:\TeXLive (from July04).

kpsewhich -var-value TEXMFLOCAL

works for the \Context tree:

>C:\ConTeXt\texmf-mswin\bin\kpsewhich -var-value TEXMFLOCAL
c:/ConTeXt/texmf-local

>C:\ConTeXt\texmf-mswin\bin\kpsewhich -var-value TEXMFMAIN
c:/ConTeXt/texmf

2. What I would like: how do I properly modify texmf.cnf (presumably
C:\ConTeXt\texmf-local\web2c\texmf.cnf is the main one) so that

a. C:\ConTeXt is given priority over C:\TeXLive;
b. C:\TeXLive\texmf-var\web2c   formats are searched after
   C:\ConTeXt\texmf-local\web2c
c. C:\ConTeXt utilities like TeXFont install files to
   C:\ConTeXt\texmf-local\
   instead of to
   C:\TeXLive\texmf-local (for some reason the C:\ConTeXt tree does
recognize C:\TeXLive\texmf-local by default)

Of course, I may be missing the big picture here, in which case please
enlighten me!

Part of my problem is that

1. apparently I can make both pdfetex and aleph formats in the TeXLive tree
(efmt and fmt respectively), but only one of them in the ConTeXt tree (both
are dumped as cont-en.fmt)

2. I can't just dump cont-tmf.zip into TeXLive\texmf-var, because some
utilities (like texfont.exe) do not get updated or replaced. So I would have
to manually delete e.g., texfont.exe and replace it with the new texfont.bat,
making a mess of my TeXLive system.

I really wish that updating/upgrading were not always such a pain...

Best
Idris

Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy