Peter wrote:
How can I place two figures next to each other without using a \startcombination ... \stopcombination group?

I now have this, but it is not what I want:

\gebruikexternfiguur[kortoctaaf][cekort][type=eps,hoogte=30mm]
\gebruikexternfiguur[gebrokenoctaaf][gebroken][type=eps,hoogte=30mm]
\plaatsfiguur
    [hier]
    [fig:klavieren]
    {Enkele varianten van het groot octaaf}
    {\startcombinatie[2*1]
    {\kortoctaaf}{kort octaaf}
    {\gebrokenoctaaf}{gebroken octaaf}
    \stopcombinatie}

I want to have the two figures numbered as seperate, independent figures, but when using a combination, the whole combination is treated as one figure and gets only one number and one label.

XXXX      XXXX
X  X      X  X
XXXX      XXXX

fig.n      fig.n+1

I've consulted the manuals and searched the list archives, but I have not found a solution.

tnx in advance,

I now know how to suppress the caption of the combination. By using the option "none".
Now I have to generate the captions of the two figures with the correct numbers and the reference-labels by hand. So my questions:
- How can I increment the figure counter?
- How can I print the current figure number?
- How can I add labels for referencing to the two figures?
- Is there a better approach to do this?

I have two small figures. So I really want them next to each other. It's a waste of space to put them underneath each other.

Peter