x-pdf should work fine. I am still clueless about this problem, too.
In my class of 30, only some Windows users had exactly this problem.
I could never reproduce it on our Campus machines, and never on a Mac either.

I only know that changing the mime type has fixed it since. Maybe Hans or Tobias can retry now?

Matthias