Idris,
thank you for your interest. I don't have setuptex in my linux
system... maybe this is
a windows utility.

Concerning Garamond, I see bunch of files in my system:
ls ./texmf-local/fonts/afm/urw/garamond/
 ugmri8a.afm
 ugmr8a.afm
 ugmmi8a.afm
 ugmm8a.afm

and there are references to garamond fonts in the type-* files, but I don't know
how to activate it. I think I have a configuration problem in my texlive2004
plus the difficulty of handling fonts (as always)... I'll keep trying
and let you
know if find how to activate them...

Also, I followed instructions to install verdana (magazine009) but
couldn't make it work either...
so, the problem is likely to be in my installation...

Ciro