John R. Culleton wrote:

When I run texexec against a file with lots (101) chapters plus
sections the messages to the console documenting each such
subdivision seem to be slowing down the compilation. Is there a
switch to suppress all the printout?

run -- John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters
http://wexfordpress.com

To make c.pdf from c.tex I use
$> texexec --pdf --silent c

Sometimes, if I'm sure about c.tex, under Linux i can write
$> texexec --pdf --batch --silent c &>/dev/null
Warning: --batch run until end, so I can make a bad pdf  if c is wrong.

I can do also

$> texexec --pdf --silent c &>myout
but if c.tex file is wrong, texexec can stop itself and wait from a prompt, and I can think that texexec is still running.
(in this situation, if I hit 'q' I will enter in batch-mode; with ctrl-d I abort texexec. myout collect standard out and error)
This can be a quick way to make a pdf, but sure not safe.

luigi