Richard Hirsch wrote:

Does somebody have an idea what might go wrong? Do I miss an important
setting or activation? (I am using ConTeXt  ver: 2005.01.31  fmt:
2005.4.26  int: english  mes: english in connection with tetex 3.0-13 on
a linux box.)
Or might this rather be a problem with the acrobat reader (version 7.0
on linux but also version 5 on windows)?

that one gav eme a headache; i finally figured out that it's due to the fact that positions are not yet loaded (so, if you move \starttext to the top of your file, things would have worked ok)

here is a patch for page-lyr.tex:

\def\dosetMPlayer[#1][#2][#3]%
  {\checkpositions % added
   \edef\MPlayerwidth {\MPw{#2}}%
   \edef\MPlayerheight{\MPh{#2}}%
   \setlayer[#1][\c!x=\MPx{#2},\c!y=\MPy{#2},\c!position=\v!no,#3]}

alternatively you can add \checkpositions tothe top of your file