On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Staszek Wawrykiewicz wrote:
> >   AFM and PFM files are supplied here for the sake of
> >   completeness only.  They are normally not required for use
> >   with TeX.

> this is not true, you need the afm's when you use them to make graphics
> in other progs that will then be used by tex; also, you need them in
> order to generate metrics for encodings other than teh shipped ones

Hans, I cited readme by Walter and tried to explain: there's no ready
tfm metrics for _those_ urw. Existing ones were generated for older, not
so nice urw fonts.

> > In fact, nobody knows how the *old* mess with tfm, vf etc. fits
> > to more *new* urw pfb which are of better quality then the older ones.
> > Anyway both distributions cannot be mixed. Not to say about packaging, etc.
> > So I introduced "urw35vf" (#3416) which contains all (historical) stuff
> > for those using urw fonts directly (.vf, .tfm, .fd, .sty files).
> > Everybody has freedom using them from TL. Thomas removed such stuff
> > from teTeX as simply garbage.
>
> he's free to do that but it sounds strange and dangerous to me

Why? Anybody is free to make tfm files, as afm files are always
available for _that_ set of urw fonts.

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
[EMAIL PROTECTED]