Taco Hoekwater wrote:
\DeclareFontShape{T2A}{fco}{m}{it}{<-> fcori6t}{}

So you should use fcori6t in ConTeXt as well. You are using the
wrong metrics, and that is the cause of the disappearing space.

Oh, thank you, I see it now. But how font filename and basename is resolved from map file if tfm in source and in map file differ? If LaTeX uses *6t for T2A encoding, but in map file there is only *6a, how it works? I've reread the docs, but this moment remains unclear.

The *6t tfm's works as expected, I'm just trying to understand what all this files doing.

Encoding file fonts/enc/dvips/pscyr/t2a.enc, but pdftex ignores ReEncodeFont, as stated in documentation.

Pdftx does do the actual re-encoding, it just ignores the
supplied string value.

Taco

Yes, I figured it out from experiments.

--