David Rogers wrote:
OK, I tried this setup, and ConTeXt ran without stopping to complain,
but (as Otared described, I guess) the font actually produced is very
jaggy, both on screen and in print. My nostalgia for dot matrix

fonts           : resetting map file list
fonts           : using map file: original-base
fonts           : using map file: ec-public-lm
fonts           : using map file: ec-base
fonts           : using map file: original-ams-base
fonts           : using map file: original-public-lm
fonts           : using map file: ec-urw-palatino
fonts           : using map file: original-youngryu-px
[1.1{/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/context/
original-empty
.map}{/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/context/
original-base
.map}{/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/context/ec-
public-lm.
map}{/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/context/ec-base
.map}{/
usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/context/original-ams-
base.ma
p}{/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/context/original-
public-
lm.map}
Warning: pdfetex (file ec-urw-palatino.map): cannot open font map file
{/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/context/original-
youngryu-
px.map}] [2.2] [3.3]

Well, here is your problem. pdftex cannot find map file for direct font inclusion and you get bitmaps.

I've found needed definitions in context-base.map and ec-base.map. ec-base is loaded by default, but dose nothing. Maybe someone explain this. As a quick solution try:

\loadmapfile [context-base] % !!!
\setupencoding [default=ec]
\usetypescript [adobekb] [\defaultencoding]
\usetypescript [palatino] [\defaultencoding]
\usetypescript [postscript] [\defaultencoding]
\usetypescript [lucida] [\defaultencoding]
\setupbodyfont [palatino]

\setupoutput[pdftex]

\startbuffer
Some {\bf text} to {\it test} {\sl font} {\bs switching}.
\stopbuffer

\starttext
\getbuffer

\switchtobodyfont [postscript] \getbuffer

\switchtobodyfont [lucida] \getbuffer
\stoptext

Works for me on tetex-3.0.

--