Elena Fraboschi wrote:
> My guess is that there is a built-in bias not to split a line
> but, rather, give you an overfull \hbox.  I "forced" the
> issue by defining each column to be less than 1em (because "1"
> is a very narrow char that surely takes less than 1 em), and
> by adding a typescript space after each number.  It might
> even be possible to eliminate the typescript space and simply
> define each column to be 0.25em, say, but I did not try it.

It may actually be that the penalty for an underfull box is bigger
than for the overfull one. This explains strange placing of the
numbers then.

... but in the latest ConTeXt version it looks as if it wouldn't work at all.

It is perhaps a lot of work included, but extending the
contextgarden.net in such a way that users could provide test cases
which would be typeset with different ConTeXt versions and PNGs
compared afterwards ... could make it easier to discover any broken
functionality.

Mojca