Hans Hagen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

 > Hi,
 >
 > it would be great if the \placefigure macro could be extended to
 > combinations like
 >
 > \placefigure{top,left}
 >
 > or
 >
 > \placefigure{bottom,outer}
 >

 > The reason for this request is that we use ConTeXt a lot for
 > typesetting books from "arts and humanities".
 >
 > There we often have to place a lot of (more then 100) figures at
 > "fixed" positions like top-outer and bottom-inner, wrapped by text.
 >
 > I guess it's not a trivial feature to be implemented in TeX's
 > paragraph processing, but I know it might be worth the effort:
 > ConTeXt's way to deal with fonts and text is so superior that it
 > should be also accessible for disciplines that besides text also rely
 > on images - as the arts and humanities do.

 btw, do you know this trick?

 \starttext

 \hangsidefloat[2]
 \placefigure[left][]{}{} \dorecurse{10}{\input zapf \par}

 \stoptext

yes I know. you once told me (as for the first time I asked for this feature two years ago...).

true, it's a nice trick. and I used it in smaller publications.
but it is not practicable with a lot of images (and this cases are the regular ones, unfortunately).

typesetting with a lot of images wrapped by text is still a quite problematic task in ConTeXt/TeX .

Steffen

(P.S. actually my motivation to move to ConTeXt years ago was the hope that this image handling might be possible there. well, it wasn't ... )