Brooks Moses wrote:

At 10:40 AM 9/9/2005, Christopher Creutzig wrote:

Brooks Moses wrote:
> Not quite, as it doesn't generate a number I can reference.  What I'm
> thinking of is something that does what \nomarkfootnote does in the
> following example:
>
> A sentence\footnote{With a note\note[footB].}.\nomarkfootnote[footB]{And
>   another.}

\starttext
A sentence\footnote{With a note.\note[footB]}\footnotetext[footB]{And
another.}
\stoptext

works for me, assuming I interpreted your wish correctly.

You did, indeed, interpret my wish correctly.  Thanks!

Unfortunately, this is buggy when faced with a more complicated example -- though I'm not sure whether the bug is in ConTeXt, or if it's because we're not using \footnotetext correctly. Consider the following:

  \starttext
  This%
  \footnote(Or that\note[footB], if you prefer.}%
  \footnotetext[footB]{Or possibly even the other\note[footC].}%
  \footnotetext[footC]{It could be something entirely different.}
  is a sentence with nested footnotes\note[footB]\note[footC].
  \stoptext

The footnotes themselves are numbered properly: 1, 2, 3. However, the references are not -- the \note[footC] reference within the second footnote produces a superscript 2 rather than a superscript 3 -- and the references to \note[footB] and \note[footC] at the end of the text both produce superscript 3's!

well, we adapt the definition of \notesymbol (i've forgotten why the extra if is there)

\starttext

This \footnote{A: Or that b:\in[footB], if you prefer.}
\footnotetext[footB]{B: Or possibly even the other c:\in[footC].}
\footnotetext[footC]{C: It could be something entirely different.}
is a sentence with nested footnotes b:\in[footB] and c:\in[footC].

\def\donotesymbol[#1][#2]%
 {\bgroup
  \ifnotesenabled
    \def\currentnote{#1}%
    \ifsecondargument
%        \ifx\lastnotesymbol\relax
        \unskip
        \gotobox{\dodonotesymbol\currenttextreference}[#2]%
%        \else
%          \lastnotesymbol
%        \fi
    \else
      \lastnotesymbol
    \fi
  \fi
  \egroup}

\page

This \footnote{AA: Or that b:\note[footBB], if you prefer.}
\footnotetext[footBB]{BB: Or possibly even the other c:\note[footCC].}
\footnotetext[footCC]{CC: It could be something entirely different.}
is a sentence with nested footnotes b:\note[footBB] and c:\note[footCC].