On Sunday, October 24, 2021 7:42:59 AM IST kauśika cittūr wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> In short, my question is: why does \wordright cause a line-break when the
> line preceding it breaks with hyphenation and does not otherwise? How to
> avoid it (if at all possible)?
>
> I have this delimitedtext instance called 'amnata' defined as below:
>
> \definemeasure[amnatamargin][3cm]
> \definedelimitedtext
>   [amnata]
> \setupdelimitedtext
>   [amnata]
>   [
>       left=,
>       right=,
>       leftmargin={\measure{amnatamargin}},
>       rightmargin={\measure{amnatamargin}},
>   ]
>
> I am using this to quote paragraph(s) of other authors.
> Since, I also want to indicate where the quote is from, I use this as
> follows:
>
> \startamnata
>   ⋮
> \wordright{author}
> \stopamnata
>
> so that the author's name appears at the right-edge of the block.
>
> When the penultimate line inside the block breaks without hyphenation, then
> argument of \wordright is typeset as expected (i.e. in the same line).
>
> On the other hand, when the penultimate line inside this block breaks with
> hyphenation, the argument of \wordright is pushed to the next line even when
> there is enough space for it on the same line.
>
> Here is a sample illustrating this:
>
> \startamnata
> A quote from another author : Suppose that thereisalongwordhere.
> \wordright{– author}
> \stopamnata
>
> \startamnata
> A quote from another author : Here, the text does not cause
> hyphenation in the first line.
> \wordright{– author}
> \stopamnata
>
> [I have attached the output here as an image]
>
> How do I ensure that this does not happen, if that is possible at all? I
> suppose this is expected behaviour but I am not able to understand why.
>
> Thanks,
> kauśika

Dear list,

Although, not a fix for the issue, here is a workaround that allowed me to
achieve what I wanted:

\definedescription[amnata]
\setupdescription[amnata]
  [closesymbol={​},
   closecommand=\wordright,
   before=\startamnatanarrower,
   after=\stopamnatanarrower]

\startamnata
A quote from another author : Suppose that thereisalongwordhere.
\wordright{– author}
\stopamnata

With this the argument of \wordright appears correctly at the right-edge of
the block. Note that this does not work (as expected) when closesymbol is not
set (or, is empty). Therefore, here I have set closesymbol={​​U+200B}, which
is the zero width space.

Thanks,
kauśika