All right, I think I've solved the expansion problem I described before: to
ensure that the first input is expanded when it is passed to Lua, I have to
pass it as [==[#1]==], not "#1". But the updated MWE below still does not
seem to work, as the \DoIfPrefixElse macro is printing "NOP" instead of
"YES":

```

\starttexdefinition loc [#1]

\doifassignmentelse{#1} {

% if an assignment, then parse and format accordingly

\getparameters[loc][#1]

% Was a section number specified?

\doifdefined{locsec} {

§ \locsec

}

} {

% otherwise, just print the input as-is

}

\stoptexdefinition

\def\DoIfPrefixElse#1#2{\ctxlua{commands.doifelse(string.find([==[#2]==],"^"..[==[#1]==]))}}

\def\currentbtxloctext{\loc[sec=31]}

\starttext

\currentbtxloctext\blank

\DoIfPrefixElse{§}{\currentbtxloctext}{YES}{NOP}

\stoptext
```

Indeed, if I add a simple \doifelse equality check, it looks like the value
I expect is not the same as what the macro produces, even though they look
identical:

```

    }
\stoptexdefinition

\def\DoIfPrefixElse#1#2{\ctxlua{commands.doifelse(string.find([==[#2]==],"^"..[==[#1]==]))}}

\def\currentbtxloctext{\loc[sec=31]}

\starttext
    § 31\blank%the raw text we expect
    \currentbtxloctext\blank%the text as produced by the macro
    \doifelse{\currentbtxloctext}{§ 31}{YES}{NOP}\blank% should output YES,
but doesn't
    \DoIfPrefixElse{§}{\currentbtxloctext}{YES}{NOP}\blank% should output
YES, but doesn't
\stoptext
```

What am I missing here?