On 1/4/2022 11:07 PM, Arthur Rosendahl wrote:
On Mon, Jan 03, 2022 at 11:16:46PM +0100, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:
Because Wolfgang has to write a chapter (or a MyWay document) and we're all
mostly volunteers so ...

   Youssef has got a point, though: \definefontfamily should perhaps be
given a tiny bit better treatment on the wiki.  I agree with him that
https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Use_the_fonts_you_want seems like the
best place to mention it, and even think that all of the last section
could be rewritten using \definefontfamily instead of a typescript
definition (which can be moved elsewhere, it obviously doesn’t need to
be deleted from the wiki entirely).  But I wouldn’t like to disturb the
good work that Garulfo did when he overhauled the wiki, hence if you’re
around, Garulfo, perhaps you could comment on that?
a note:

basically we have 3 ways to define a font (collection):

- selectfont: works find when fonts have 'correct' names and come in consistent 'sets' (which is not always the case)

- typescripts: for long term stable style usage this is best because one uses filenames and can even rename font files then so that updates don't clash (typescripts can be in styles or in separate files)

- single font: for specific usage, like special fonts or titling; definition by name or file or spec but probably most oiften by file (just to be sure); although one can use abstraction by name this methoid is not used for collections

mechanisms like fallbacks work for all but may need additional definitions

design siszes can complicate matters but there are no many