On 1/7/2022 7:55 PM, J. P. Ascher wrote:
On Fri, Jan 07 2022, 18:10:39 +01 Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
On 1/7/2022 4:18 PM, J. P. Ascher via ntg-context wrote:
Hi, all,
I'm a long time lurker (on gmane), first time poster. First, thank

[...]

Any ideas?
when you use a complex font (in this case with lots of ligatures)
doing a fallback can interfere with these features especially when
they have been put in the private areas which are basically
'undefined'

you're accessing an st ligature directly but normally you will do that
by enabling a font feature

Thank you Hans, for your response, and your years of hard work on many
great manuals and code!

I'm doing that deliberately, but for my own peculiar reason: I'm working
on transcribing 17c texts in terms of the typographical sorts available
in the physical founts of their print shop.  I.e. I usually disable all
ligatures and only manually put in a ligature when the physical type was
a ligatured one, as best I can tell.  Not every shop had the same founts
and not every compositor used every available ligature in the same shop.

in that case you can best access the shapes by name (which is possible in context), assuming that they have one (often they do or they have standard locations like a few ligatures have)

My bigger technical problem is that I need to combine paragraphs of
normally typeset prose with other paragraphs where I don't want the
typesetting engine to change a single glyph, or too much of
the spacing.

in that case you can best use a rather bare font i.e. no features at all apart from kerning and use dynamic features grouped

in lmtx there are other tricks too

\noleftligaturing
\norightligaturing
\noligaturing

and other conbtrols like

\noleftkerning
etc

I pulled it off for my dissertation with a bunch of hacks, like the
above, which proved to me that it could actually work.  From the readers
I've had, it seems that as you read more of the prose, you start
noticing that the description is different in subtle ways and
eventually--I hope--learn to see the evidence of typesetting that I'm
writing about reproduced in my work and thus now can in the historical
item itself.

one aspect is how ligatures are made: some fonts have single shapes, others use replacements and kerning of (then) multiple shapes

But, I think that the actual solution is a real font for this.  I'm just
making hacks between appointments--I can afford the time away from the
treadmill of applications to do it correctly right now.

Sometimes, I wonder if a monospace, like DejaVu's, with the extra glyphs
would make the distinction between prose and description clearer, but
I'll have to wait until I have an occasion to try that too.

I'd be curious if anyone else has seen someone trying something similar.

yrs,
-jp