On 1/9/2022 11:23 AM, hanneder--- via ntg-context wrote:

1. In Sanskrit prose it is possible to produce compounds that span a few lines. The concept of
    "word" or "word division" fails here, as are the TeX mechanisms.

   What we need in practice would be a "hyphenation" for the language Sanskrit that hyphenates    after all Sanskrit vowels (in transcription this would be a, ā, i, ī, u, ū, ṛ, ḷ, e, o, ai, au. The    last two cannot be split, "au" is one vowel with one vowel sign in the original script). Of    course, we want to improve this automatic spelling occasionally, so we need to be able to insert
    a \- without thereby disabling the hyphenation for this compound.

   I think in critical editions the problem of the disabled hyphenation also arises when a variant    is added inside a word. In any case hyphenation is a real nuisance in critical editions.
I can add sanskit patterns to the distribution but I wonder: how does this interact with reordering in fonts? Do we need to postpone hyphenation till after reordering?