On 1/11/2022 8:50 PM, Gavin via ntg-context wrote:
Hello List,

I am making problem sets for a physics class. Solutions use the style defined
in the example below, and only appear if the “solution” mode is enabled. I am
struggling to get a vertical space for the solution which is the same whether
or not the solution is printed. Different problems require different amounts of
space, so this should be an argument or key-value.

In the example below, the first solution has the desired behavior. The second
solution has the syntax I’d like, but it doesn’t make the space without a
solution.

Any ideas would be welcome! I am still pretty new to ConTeXt, so I struggle
mixing things like the plain tex \vbox and ConTeXt \start…\stop concepts.

Thanks,
Gavin

\definemode[solution][yes] % yes to enable solutions, no to disable

\definebuffer  [solution] % Captures solution in a buffer that isn't used

\startmode[solution] % If in solution mode, redefine
\startsolution...\stopsolution
\definedelimitedtext[solution][ % Solution italic and indented
   spacebefore=medium,
   spaceafter=medium,
   style=\rm\it,
   leftmargin=standard, % Indents block on the left
   rightmargin=yes, % Indents block on the right
   indentnext=no,
   before=\vbox to 1in\bgroup,
   after=\egroup,
]
\stopmode

\starttext

How many roads? (The 1-inch space below appears whether or not it contains a
solution.)

\vbox to 1in{%
   \startsolution
     42 roads.
   \stopsolution
}

How much wood? (I would like to define solution so this to behaves like the
previous question.)
\startsolution[1in]
   Alotta wood!
\stopsolution

No more questions.
\stoptext
a mix between big and low level

% \enablemode[solution]

\startmode[solution] % If in solution mode, redefine \startsolution...\stopsolution

    \definenarrower
      [mysolution]
      [before=\blank,
       after=\blank]

    \tolerant\protected\def\startsolution[#1]%
      {\startmysolution
       \it}

    \protected\def\stopsolution
      {\stopmysolution}

\stopmode

\startnotmode[solution] % If in solution mode, redefine \startsolution...\stopsolution

    \tolerant\protected\def\startsolution[#1]%
      {\doifelsenothing{#1}{\blank[2.5cm]}{\blank[#1]}
       \gobbleuntil\stopsolution}

    \protected\def\stopsolution
      {}

\stopnotmode

\starttext

How many roads? (The 1-inch space below appears whether or not it contains a solution.)

\startsolution
    42 roads.
\stopsolution

How much wood? (I would like to define solution so this to behaves like the previous question.)

\startsolution[1in]
    Alotta wood!
\stopsolution

No more questions.
\stoptext

much nicer is to use the blocks mechanism (but i need to check if we can do the 2in there)