For poetry that has non-regular indentations, I simply \definelines[poem] and set that up the way I want, obviously, with \setuplines[poem]  e.g. [before={\blank \setupinterlinespace[line=2.5ex]},after={\blank},indenting=first].

And then, but I guess it is still a hack, I use \hskip at a suitable dimension whenever I need indented lines:

\startpoem
This is line one,
\hskip1em{This is line two}
This is line three,