On 1/12/2022 7:34 PM, Gavin via ntg-context wrote:
Hi List,

I am converting problem sets from LaTeX to ConTeXt and ran into a puzzling
problem. I define \sub to produce subscript text in math mode. (See definition
below.) This worked for my ConTeXt book, but fails in the problem sets because
in ConTeXt \sub is a special item command, and I use itemize to number problems.

Obviously, I can rename my \sub command, but it is already used in hundreds of
problems and solutions that I am converting. Is there a way to get my \sub to
work in an itemize? I only need it in math mode. I will never use \sub for its
ConTeXt itemizing purpose.

\appendtoks
    \define[1]\sub{_{\text{\rm\tf#1}}}%
\to \everymathematics

or nicer:

\define[1]\MyMathSub{_{\text{\rm\tf#1}}}

\appendtoks
    \let\sub\MyMathSub
\to \everymathematics

Thanks!
Gavin

\define[1]\sub{_{\text{\rm\tf#1}}}

\starttext

$E\sub{final}$ is the final energy, but not in an itemize:

\startitemize
\item $E_{\text{\rm final}}$ is the final energy.
\item $E\sub{final}$ is a mess.
\stopitemize