On 1/13/2022 6:15 PM, Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jan 2022, Gavin via ntg-context wrote:

Hi list,

When I define an items group, it seems to mess up the spacing for a nested item
group. See example below. Any ideas?

I’m typesetting with

        > ConTeXt  ver: 2022.01.06 19:51 LMTX  fmt: 2022.1.9  int:
english/english

on an M1 Mac.

Thanks!
Gavin

\usemodule[visual]

\defineitemgroup[questions]
\setupquestions [each] [n]

\starttext
This numbered list uses my item group \quotation{questions.} The itemize inside
is missing space above item (a).
\startquestions
   \item \fakewords{15}{20}
     \startitemize[a][left=(,stopper=,right=)]
       \item \fakewords{10}{15}
       \item \fakewords{10}{15}
     \stopitemize
   \item \fakewords{10}{15}
\stopquestions

This numbered list uses itemize. The itemize inside has the expected space
above item (a).
\startitemize[n]
   \item \fakewords{15}{20}
     \startitemize[a][left=(,stopper=,right=)]
       \item \fakewords{10}{15}
       \item \fakewords{10}{15}
     \stopitemize
   \item \fakewords{10}{15}
\stopitemize

\stoptext

This is by design. This is what is happening:

\usemodule[visual]

\defineitemgroup[questions]

\starttext
This numbered list uses my item group \quotation{questions.} The itemize inside
is missing space above item (a).
\startquestions[n][inbetween={AAA}]
   \item \fakewords{15}{20}
     \startitemize[a][left=(,stopper=,right=),before={BBB}]
       \item \fakewords{10}{15}
       \item \fakewords{10}{15}
     \stopitemize
   \item \fakewords{10}{15}
\stopquestions

This numbered list uses itemize. The itemize inside has the expected space
above item (a).
\startitemize[n][inbetween={AAA}]
   \item \fakewords{15}{20}
     \startitemize[a][left=(,stopper=,right=),before={BBB}]
       \item \fakewords{10}{15}
       \item \fakewords{10}{15}
     \stopitemize
   \item \fakewords{10}{15}
\stopitemize

\stoptext

Note that in the first case, the inbetween does not get inserted at the start
of the nested itemization (because, ConTeXt doesn't think that they are nested
as the names are different). But the before key of the nested itemization
doesn't get inserted in both cases because ConTeXt thinks that the itemization
is nested!

You can change this behavior by using:

\unprotect
\c_strc_itemgroups_spacing_mode\plusone
\protect

in which case both outputs are similar.

@Hans: Does it make sense to add a setups key to \setupitemize to keep such
changes local?
% 0 = before/after
% 1 = between unless before
% 2 = between

\c_strc_itemgroups_spacing_mode\plustwo

The question then is: "what key" (we have c!inherit available) and "what values" (numbers ?) ...