On 1/22/2022 8:21 AM, kauśika via ntg-context wrote:
On Saturday, January 22, 2022 11:36:57 AM IST Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context
wrote:
I finally thought that I'd try out how typesetting Hindi works with ConTeXt,
but I don't get the correct output.

Input: आदित्य (See complete attached file)

Output: See attached.

Note that ि  "vowel sign I" should be attached to  द "letter  da" but it is
attached to  य "letter ya". Do I need to enable a particular feature?

Unfortunately some fonts don't work properly in ConTeXt. Noto Sans Devanagari
is one of them. The accompanying serif font (Noto Serif Devanagari) works just
fine (mostly, there are problems with that as well).

In this specific case, there does not seem to be any fix (at least that I could
find).

I am trying to test many fonts and come up with a list of fonts which work,
partially work, don't work, etc. and fixes wherever possible.
Side note: we tested a lot and could find some hacks around font issues but in the end decided that adding some heuristics for (maybe whatever historic issues) makes no sense because eventually one ends up fighting heuristics. So, in the end we removed these fixing features and instead just do as announced above: tell what works and not with what fonts (and as some fonts are in development we can just wait till things work).

(it is a bit of a pity that support for indic scripts is such a weird mix of font technology and engine dependent reshuffling ... probably also driven by limitations of open type at that time)