On 1/30/2022 1:30 AM, jbf wrote:
The several responses to my floundering with the register have been very helpful, though I would have to confess that I have ended up 'messing with' things (suggested by Hans re the [key]) and getting a satisfactory result in almost every case without always understanding why. But I can say that I have the 'sorting' issue resolved if it is a main entry, including if that entry is surrounded by quote marks or has one part of that entry formatted differently (e.g. italics).

But I don't seem able to apply this to subentries! I cannot solve the sorting of subentries that have special features (e.g. I might have needed italics for part of a subentry, or the subentry is surrounded by quote marks).

Here are my two situations (and in each case they appear out of alphabetical order in the subentry list):

1. \index{animals+‘special kinds’}: in this case ‘special kinds’ appears in the subentry list at the bottom of the list, after one that starts with 'v'. I 'messed with' this by adding keys, e.g., \index[Animals] etc. but  the item disappeared from the index altogether.

2. \index{Plenary Council+{\it periti} (experts)}: in this case it is the italicised /periti/ that appears out of place, after the letter 'i' rather than after 'p'. Again I tried putting various keys but this did not help.

I guess my confusion is this: I assumed that the [key] establishes the literal string which determines sort order. That seems to be the case for a main entry. How do I get it to work for a subentry?
just provide an extra key:

key+subkey