On 2/16/2022 3:29 PM, Gavin via ntg-context wrote:
Hi Mikael,

A while back you asked the list about math class ideas.

Q1: Do you have any further suggestions on new classes (or comments on
these)? It might be good to think about situations where you have felt
that you need to insert manual spaces such as \, or \! to obtain a
better result.

Three things came to mind:

1) Units, where I use:
      \, to separate units from the number
      \rm to get the text font
      \!\cdot\!  to get something like kg•m/s

there is a units module (always has been, but it moved to the physics domain)

2) Digits, where I use {,} to get a thousands separator

idem, there are mechanisms for that (independent of math)

3) Chemical equations, which seem to be in their own strange world right now

that belongs in the chemical modules (i probably need to check prescritps and spacing there)

Thanks for working on CoTeXt math!
attached a teaser that abuses digit classes ... there is now (on our machines) a rather extensive mechasm for pairing classes (of any kind), inheritance, penalties, edge slack handling, native integrals (large operators), optimized linebreaks wrt math, scaled fenced stuff breaking across line

(we're now ironing out some crazy symbols that no one ever bothered about but that annoy us)