On 2/19/2022 7:30 AM, Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context wrote:
Hi,

This is related to a bug report for the filter module:
https://github.com/adityam/filter/issues/60

Normally, when the same figure is included twice, context only includes the
figure once and refers to the included figure the second time. The option
`object=no` to externalfigure is supposed to prevent that, but it doesn't work.
For example, consider the following example the bug-report uses graphviz as the
external program, but I have changed that to context to keep things self
contained)

\usemodule[filter]

\defineexternalfilter
   [graphviz]
   [
     filter=context --purge,
     output=\externalfilterbasefile.pdf,
     readcommand=\ReadPDF,
   ]

\def\ReadPDF#1%
     {\externalfigure[#1][object=no]}

\starttext

   Circle:
   \startgraphviz
     \startMPpage
       draw fullcircle scaled 1cm;
     \stopMPpage
   \stopgraphviz

   Square:
   \startgraphviz
     \startMPpage
       draw fullsquare scaled 1cm;
     \stopMPpage
   \stopgraphviz

\stoptext

Behind the scenes, the first \startgraphviz ... \stopgraphviz environment
writes the content to an external file (\jobname-temp-graphviz.tmp), runs
`context --purge \jobname-temp-graphviz.tmp`, which creates
`\jobname-temp-graphviz.pdf`. The `\ReadPDF` macro then includees the file
(with object=no).

At the next \startgraphviz .. \stopgraphviz, the same process is repeated. The
`\jobname-temp-graphviz.pdf` file is overwritten and the new file should have
been included. But it is not. The output contains the first image twice.

I thought that object=no should have prevented the reuse. In fact, if I compile
the file with luatex, I get an error message:

! error:  (pdf inclusion): file has changed '12-two-outputs-temp-graphviz.pdf'
mtx-context     | fatal error: return code: 256

Any idea why object=no is not working?
the pdf file is kept open, for various reasons:

- performance
- the might be different pages to fetch
- analysis happens when the image is placed, inclusion happens later

so you try to reopen an already open file (which has not been completely processed)