Hi!

On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 9:01 AM Hans Hagen via ntg-context
<ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> On 3/13/2022 7:58 PM, Rik Kabel via ntg-context wrote:
>
> > With regard to math fonts, I notice that the goodies file for Libertinus
> > expects version 6.8 of the font, but the current version (since February
> > 2021) is 7.040, and much work appears to have gone into the math font.
>
> the main issue with math font is in 'unfortunate' glyph dimensions and
> we doubt that these will change over time (as fonts are supposed to be
> stable); adding shapes is another matter
>
> > Two questions, then:
> >
> >  1. Is Libertinus Math considered a "useful" math font?
>
> Mikael knows .. I never used libertinus (and am an unlike candidate; i
> mostly use cambria, pagella, dejavu, lucida)

I think it could be useful, yes (I like the look of the libertinus
font, in particular in combination with the biolinum font; it is
probably worth trying to get the math font to work as well as
possible). I think there were some problems with accents and such, but
not too big. I think you could try to use it and see what you think.

> >  2. How does the goodies mechanism work when the expected version
> >     differs from the found version?
>
> we check the version number in the font file (a bit of fuzzyness due to
> the way version numbers ar ento standardized); comparing internals would
> be an option but also a waste of time i think
>
> > (I understand that keeping up with evolving fonts is somewhere between
> > difficult and impossible.)
>
> which is why we want to freeze on versions ... an update to another
> version then becomes explicit; of course we can also consider having
> multiple instances of a font but then we also need to set up a repository
>
> > I also note that the typescript for libertinus is quite old and does not
> > reflect the semibold variants that have been available for some time. I
> > prefer them to the bold variants, and my own typescript for libertinus
> > does incorporate them. I am happy to share it if anyone wants it.
> We cannot suddenly change the 'default', but we can have additional
> choices in the file for semi versions (some more fonts have that).  You
> can send your typesctipt file to Mikael and me and we can have a look.
>
> (Not sure if I should update libertinus now. Sometimes fonts change too
> much, like for instance ebgaramond did, and one can get rather different
> output.)
>
> Hans

I put it on my todo-list to download the new version and to run some test files.

I could also mention here that in the upload Hans did some days ago,
most changes are "behind the scenes", so the user should not really
write their code differently. One exception:

In integrals, texers have usually a \, in front of the differential.
Now there is a differential class, and the macro \dd will give a
differential d, with (hopefully) correct spacing. Thus, write for
example \int_0^1 f(x)\dd x.

If you find any strange distances between atoms, please mail me
examples. With the introduction of new classes, there are many new
pairs, and perhaps not all of them are setup "correct".

/Mikael