On 3/17/2022 11:14 PM, jbf via ntg-context wrote:
I'd like to understand what is happening in this particular instance:

While playing with a suggestion to a recent request (re \currentlistentrynumber etc.) I suddenly got a compiling error:

TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [file=2000].

I returned everything to how it was before I was trying out those suggestions, but still got the error, so I began the \stopdocument routine fairly early in the document... same problem still. Then I brought the \stopdocument well forward, immediately after the standard makeup pages and the document compiled. When I removed \stopdocument, the entire document compiled as it should.

So the basic question is: what can be causing the error message? This has happened to me on two occasions with this document - it occurred once before I had even begun experimenting with the \currentlistentry options, so I do not think that the problem lies there. And when it occurred that time, I again solved it with \stopdocument routine, but further into the document. And similarly, once it compiled that far and I removed it, the whole document compiled once more.

If it is too complicated an explanation for an email response, maybe just point me to a document that explains the issue.
a guess ... it looks like you load the same file so you have some nesting / grouping problem; (some file loaders keep track of being loaded but you probably load before that is done)