On Wed, 2022-05-25 at 15:51 +0200, Tommaso Gordini via ntg-context
wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> here and there on the Net there are slightly different ways to
> activate the
> microtypography functionality in a ConTeXt document.
>
>  My question is: what is the most correct and clean way to do it?

I do not claim that this is the cleanest way. Probably it's better to
define a separate font feature for microtypography rather than
overwriting the default set, but this definitely works:

   \definefontfeature[default][default]
     [protrusion=quality,
      expansion=quality]

   \setupbodyfont[modern] % or whatever

   \setupalign[hz,hanging]

Unfortunately the global alignment settings do not propagate into
certain structures. For example itemizations, captions, and
bibliographies just reset it and need special treatment:

   \setupitemize[each][align={hz,hanging}]
   \setupbtxlist[align={hz,hanging,tolerant}]
   \setupcaption[figure][align={justified,hz,hanging}]

I think captions are not justified by default, so that might or might
not matter to you. Bibliographies are usually full or names and
academic words that do not hyphenate well, so adding tolerant relaxes
that a little bit.

Cheers, Henri