At 04:18 AM 9/22/2005, Alan Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Though I have asked this question before and there was no response, I
thought I would ask the following once more (before going through my
source files and making the changes by hand).

Does anyone know how to modify or adapt \note so that the output is a
footnote number in normal/body text format---e.g., "(ref.\ \note [lemur])" becomes "(ref.\ 9)"---rather than a superscripted numeral?

As I noted on the Wiki's footnotes page when I discovered this, \note is basically equivalent to the standard \in function for accessing references, except that it typesets the result as a superscript.

Thus, you can use \in rather than \note to reference a footnote number in normal format -- e.g., "(ref.\ \in[lemur])", for your example, though using "(\in{ref.}[lemur])" will do a better job with any hyperlinks, since the word "ref." will be included in the hyperlink. And, if for some bizarre reason you want to reference a section number by setting it as a superscript, you can use \note instead of \in for that.

- Brooks