Even if I put the installation in an archive and make a linux package that
installs the archive, I still have to modify contextcnf.lua which isn't
intended to handle differing system-wide installation paths of various
POSIX-like operating systems.

And, I don't really know

* what the variables in contextcnf.lua mean and do.
* whether there is a way to override certain variables in contextcnf.lua with
another file. A separate override file is going to make it easy for linux
distributions to override certain variables in contextcnf.lua.