> On 3 Sep 2022, at 19:51, Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
> wrote:
>
> My own fault for not thinking head :-) but I have a largeish text with a lot
> of \index{...} entries. To make life easier for the proofreader I would like
> to temporarily redefine \index to wrap it or replace it with something that
> will highlight indexed items in the text where they occur, e.g. change their
> colour.
>
> I could do this with a global find and replace (across many files) to replace
> \index with \MyIndex, say, and then define a \MyIndex that understands the
> various parameter options but this is a hassle. Before I do this, is there
> anything already pre-built?
>
> The ultimate aim is to enable a proofreader to see each indexed term where it
> appears in order to judge whether the term deserves to be in the index at
> all. (Working backwards from the index itself is possible but clicking a page
> number, trying to find the term on the page, then reading the context to make
> a decision is quite hard work - much easier to read through and deal with the
> terms as they appear.)

Thanks for the suggestions Richard and Mikael.

For the benefit of the list I went with the following quick'n'dirty™ approach
which will be good enough:

\def\index{\dosingleempty\debugIndex}
\def\debugIndex[#1]#2{%
  \iffirstargument
    \null% Ignore it for now
  \else
    \inmargin[color=blue,stack=yes,style=ssxx]{#2}%
  \fi
}

\def\startregister{\dotripleempty\debugStartRegister}
\def\debugStartRegister[#1][#2][#3]#4{%
    \inmargin[color=darkgreen,stack=yes,style=ssxx]{↓ #2}%
    }

\def\stopregister[#1][#2]{\inmargin[color=darkred,stack=yes,style=ssxx]{↑ #2}}

—
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK