Hi Duncan,

Thank you for pointing this out! I knew this was true inside the xmlns
namespace, so you can’t have identical xml:id tags, but you’re probably right
that it’s better to avoid this confusion altogether. Alas, this doesn’t help
with my problem. Since there was a type in my minimal example from my
experimentations, I include a corrected version, avoiding the identical tags

All best

Thomas

\startbuffer[test]
<document>
  <topics>
     <topic t:id="test1">
        <title>This is the first test</title>
        <date>22/11/16</date>
     </topic>
     <topic t:id="test2">
        <title>This is the second test</title>
        <date>22/11/17</date>
     </topic>
  </topics>
  <chapters>
     <chapter ch:id="test1">
        <content>
          This will be the content of the <emph>first</emph> chapter.
        </content>
     </chapter>
     <chapter ch:id="test2">
         <content>
          This will be the content of the <emph>second</emph> chapter.
         </content>
     </chapter>
  </chapters>
</document>
\stopbuffer

\startxmlsetups xml:testsetups
       \xmlsetsetup{#1}{*}{-}
        \xmlsetsetup{#1}{document|chapters|chapter|content|emph}{xml:*}
\stopxmlsetups

\xmlregistersetup{xml:testsetups}

\startxmlsetups xml:document
        \xmlflush{#1}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:chapters
        \xmlflush{#1}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:chapter
        \xmlfunction {#1} {chapter}
         \xmlflush {#1}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:chapter:content
        \xmltext {#1} {content}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:emph
  {\em \xmlflush {#1}}
\stopxmlsetups

\startluacode
function xml.functions.chapter (t)
         local ch_id = t.at.ch:id
                local metadata = xml.filter (t,
'../../topics/topic[@t:id=="%s"]', ch_id)
                print (inspect(metadata))
                lxml.command(t, ".", "xml:chapter:content")
                context.par ()
                context (ch_id)
                context.par ()
end