On Sat, 17 Dec 2022 10:41:11 -0800
skyhorse--- via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> The context wiki says:
>   "When no file extension is specified the extension .tex is assumed."

It's not on the page for typefile:

  https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/typefile

And that surely makes sense for TeX (input) files, but not \type'ed
files, which are usually not TeX files.

\startnitpicking

The message

  verbatims       > file 'bar' does not exist

is wrong, the file “bar” exists. Displaying

  verbatims       > file 'bar.txt' does not exist

\stopnitpicking

would be correct. But as I said, assuming \type'ed files are .tex
files does not make sense, IMO.

> By chance, do you have a file named "bar.tex" that would prevent this
> from being an error?

No. It just doesn't produce an error here (or non-success exit code
for that matter).

using LMTX:  2022.12.15 18:12

Marco