It's a bit confusing because the word ʿajamī simply means anything written
in a non-Arabic language with Arabic script. Africa is certainly not the
only place where that term has been used. It is also the case that Arabic
script has been used to write West African languages for very many
centuries. There is no way that guy can have grown up there and not know
that so I don't understand what this article is up to. Possibly this is a
separate adaptation using its own conventions for writing the local
language. Probably just pop-sci sensationalism coupled with some rather
severe mis-/non-understanding on the part of the article author.