On 1/27/2023 10:35 AM, Henri Menke via ntg-context wrote:

Thanks, this is indeed the workaround that I currently use. However,
the downside is that this has to tokenize the contents of \directlua
every time (and is therefore susceptible to surrounding \catcode
shenanigans) and it expands in at minimum two steps, whereas a luacall
always expands in a single step. But I guess that's what I will have to
live with.
on my 2018 laptop, with

  function FoO() end

this

  \directlua{FoO()}}

takes 0.0000014 seconds so probably the least of your worries compared to other macro and lua magic