I tried:
$ mtxrun --generate
and also commenting out "source/generic/**" in mtx-install-imp-tikz.lua
but with no success.
Same error: Driver file ``pgfsys-luatex.def'' not found.

This file does not exist in my installation.
$ find ~/.local/share/context -iname "*.def"
/home/myname/.local/share/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/generic/pgf/systemlayer/pgfsys-vtex.def
/home/myname/.local/share/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/generic/pgf/systemlayer/pgfsys-textures.def
/home/myname/.local/share/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/generic/pgf/systemlayer/pgfsys-common-postscript.def
/home/myname/.local/share/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/generic/pgf/systemlayer/pgfsys-dvisvgm4ht.def
/home/myname/.local/share/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/generic/pgf/systemlayer/pgfsys-dvipdfm.def
/home/myname/.local/share/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/generic/pgf/systemlayer/pgfsys-dvipdfmx.def
/home/myname/.local/share/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/generic/pgf/systemlayer/pgfsys-common-pdf.def
/home/myname/.local/share/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/generic/pgf/systemlayer/pgfsys-common-pdf-via-dvi.def
/home/myname/.local/share/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/generic/pgf/systemlayer/pgfsys-tex4ht.def
/home/myname/.local/share/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/generic/pgf/systemlayer/pgfsys-dvisvgm.def
/home/myname/.local/share/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/generic/pgf/systemlayer/pgfsys-dvi.def
/home/myname/.local/share/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/generic/pgf/systemlayer/pgfsys-common-svg.def
/home/myname/.local/share/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/generic/pgf/systemlayer/pgfsys-xetex.def
/home/myname/.local/share/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/generic/pgf/systemlayer/pgfsys-dvips.def
/home/myname/.local/share/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/generic/pgf/utilities/pgfutil-context.def
/home/myname/.local/share/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/generic/pgfplots/sys/pgflibrarypgfplots.surfshading.pgfsys-xetex.def
/home/myname/.local/share/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/generic/pgfplots/sys/pgflibrarypgfplots.surfshading.pgfsys-dvips.def
/home/myname/.local/share/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/generic/pgfplots/sys/pgflibrarypgfplots.surfshading.pgfsys-dvipdfmx.def

Il tried using some of these files by writing them in
context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/generic/pgf/systemlayer/pgf.cfg , by the way, but
it either doesn't compile or produces a bad picture.

Here are some quotes from the online pgf/tikz manual (
https://tikz.dev/drivers#section-formats ) :

> 10.2.1 Selecting the Backend Driver
>
> When TEX typesets your document, it does not know which program you are going
> to use to transform the .dvi-file. If your .dvi-file does not contain any
> special commands,
> this would be fine; but these days almost all .dvi-files contain lots of
> special commands.
> It is thus necessary to tell TEX which program you are going to use later on.
>
> Unfortunately, there is no “standard” way of telling this to TEX.
> For the LATEX format a sophisticated mechanism exists inside the graphics
> package
> and pgf plugs into this mechanism. For other formats and when this plugging
> does not work
> as expected, it is necessary to tell pgf directly which program you are going
> to use.
> This is done by redefining the macro \pgfsysdriver to an appropriate value
> before you load pgf.
> If you are going to use the dvips program, you set this macro to the value
> pgfsys-dvips.def;
> if you use pdftex or pdflatex, you set it to pgfsys-pdftex.def; and so on.
> In the following, details of the support of the different programs are
> discussed.
>
> 10.2.2 Producing PDF Output
>
> pgf supports three programs that produce pdf output [...]:
> dvipdfm, pdftex, and vtex. The pdflatex program is the same as the pdftex
> program:
> it uses a different input format, but the output is exactly the same.
>
> File pgfsys-pdftex.def
> This is the driver file for use with pdfTEX, that is, with the pdftex or
> pdflatex command.
> It includes pgfsys-common-pdf.def.
>
> This driver has a lot of functionality.
> (Almost) everything pgf “can do at all” is implemented in this driver.
>
> File [...]
[...]

(And so on with pgfsys-dvipdfm.def pgfsys-xetex.def pgfsys-vtex.def... Basicaly
all the other drivers cited have serious shortcomings in processing TiKz
pictures.)

So, we need the driver: pgfsys-luatex.def . Or do we? The name of this driver
is guessed at compile time.