Found it (I think)

\definefontfamily defines tf= but the text says \rm

If I use \tf in the text it works.
If I use \rm in the text it works for default Latin Modern but not for any font
defined. This is true regardless of using rm= or tf= in the definition.

So, it seems to be the combination of using definefontfamily and \rm