Hi,

I uploaded a new lmtx (some new - experimental - things will be explained after the ctx meeting), but there's one thing that is somewhat important.

In addition to the built in units we can now have so called user units. There is some more info about this in the lowlevel-registers manual. One of the predefined units is 'uu' with an associated \ununit (dimension) variable and it's is also interfaced to metafun. That means that when you use uu in metapost graphics you have to make sure that you save the meaning and/or numeric uu now.

The idea is that just as in mp one can say 20xx with xx being a (sort of) unit, one can do the same in tex. Think of

\newdimension \MyUnitA  \MyUnitA 1.23pt

\pushoverloadmode % just in case
    \newuserunit\MyUnitA ua % binds the unit to the variable
\popoverloadmode

x\hskip 10ua\relax x

The units starting with 'u' are considered user units but be carefulk with other combinations as we have (and will have more) built into context ones, like

pi : pi for Mikael
ft : foot for Alan
fs : (global body) font size
tw : (layout) text width
th : (layout) text height
hs : (current) hsize
vs : (current) vsize
cd : (when set) column distance
cw : (when set) column width
cx : combination cell width
uu : user unit (\METAFUN)

So Mikael can now have

  test \hskip 3pi\relax test

and Alan can have

  \setuplayout
    [width=1ft]

to be consistent with inches.

The reason why we have this mechanism is that it provides a level of abstraction. It might evolve over time but don't expect the 600+ units possible to show up because one needs sensible shortcuts. Already built in unit always win and you cna only bind to already defined quantities.

Here's one for those who want to go beyond the normal:

\newdimension \FooA   \FooA 1.23pt
\newdimen     \FooB   \FooB 12.3pt
\protected\def\FooC   {\the\dimexpr\FooA +\FooB\relax}

So you can now figure how 'cx' is defined in a dynamic way.