Ok, I've found a solution.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\enabletrackers[graphics.conversion]

\startluacode
local function convert(oldname, newname)
    os.execute(string.format(
        'gm convert "%s" "%s"', oldname, newname)
    )
end

-- Set the PDF, JPEG and default TIFF converters to the above function.
figures.converters.tif.pdf = convert
figures.converters.tif.jpg = convert
figures.converters.tif.default = convert
\stopluacode

\setfigureconversion[tif][jpg] % has no effect

\starttext

\externalfigure[test.tif][conversion=jpg]

\stoptext
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Would it make sense to add
tifconverter.pdf = converter
to grph-con.lua (line 293) ?

Why is it that \setfigureconversion has no effect? Without conversion=jpg on
\externalfigure, ConTeXt insists on converting to PDF. (I couldn't find the
command in the sources, but I'm not getting a undef'ed cs error either, so it
must be defined somewhere...)

I've also found out I can use a custom command that calls \externalfigure with
the right settings depending on the filetype:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\enabletrackers[graphics.conversion]

\startluacode
local function convert(oldname, newname)
    os.execute(string.format(
        'gm convert "%s" "%s"', oldname, newname)
    )
end

-- Set the PDF and default TIFF converters to the above function.
figures.converters.tif.pdf = convert
figures.converters.tif.jpg = convert
figures.converters.tif.default = convert
\stopluacode

\setfigureconversion[tif][jpg] % has no effect

\defineexternalfigure[tif][conversion=jpg]

\starttexdefinition includegraphics #1
  \splitfilename{#1}

  \processaction[\splitofftype][
    tif=>{\externalfigure[#1][tif]},
    default=>{\externalfigure[#1]},
    unknown=>{\externalfigure[#1]}
  ]
\stoptexdefinition

\starttext

\includegraphics{test.tif} % will be converted to jpg

\externalfigure[test.tif] % will be converted to pdf

\stoptext

But I think it would be nicer to stick to the default \externalfigure.

Best,
Denis