My feeling at the moment is that this might be about the only way one could go ahead in a production situation, and yes, I am familiar with PDF tools that can achieve this, though it is effectively stepping aside from ConTeXt and working with PDF. For that matter I can easily go ahead with a commercial program that solves all the problems thus far indicated. I think it is true to say that at the moment, the streams mechanism is far too klunky to be able to use it extensively. For a handful of pages (and especially if the two streams re absolutely equal in length) it is workable. Beyond that, at least for the moment, it is not, and I am afraid I do not have the luxury of time to try to refine it. Your efforts, Bruce, are hugely appreciated, but also confirm the difficulties faced thus far.

Julian