On Wed, 25 Oct 2023, Alexandre Christe wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I’d like to know the best approach to make this a bit more usable. I’m trying
> to typeset a table with sin/cos/tan values. I’d like to be able to convert
> the angles in degrees into radians (with math notation) and to compute the
> trigonometric function leading to sin(pi/4) = 1/2, or cos(pi/6) = sqrt(3)/2
> and display it in math mode.
>
> Here’s my current MWE, where I fail to convert the angles in radians

there is math.sind, cosd, etc. for computing sin for angle in degrees. The
implementation is l-math.lua is:

    local pipi = 2*math.pi/360

    function math.sind(d) return sin(d*pipi) end
    function math.cosd(d) return cos(d*pipi) end
    function math.tand(d) return tan(d*pipi) end

> and fail to display the result in symbolic form.

Context doesn't do symbolic math. You can try checking if one of the symbolic
math libraries in lua provides all the features that you want.

> One possible way would be to use Python and the t-filter module, like this

This can work as follows. Take the array of angles, and convert them to the
desired format in python and write them to a temp file. Read that temp file in
lua and typeset it as you want.

Another option is an old proof of concept by Luigi:
https://github.com/bastibe/lunatic-python which allowed two-way communication
between python and luatex. Not sure if it still works.

Aditya

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl /