Am 09.12.23 um 23:30 schrieb Mikael Sundqvist:
Hi,

On Sat, Dec 9, 2023 at 4:39 PM Wolfgang Schuster
<wolfgang.schuster.li...@gmail.com> wrote:

Fabrice Couvreur schrieb am 09.12.2023 um 17:19:

Very clear !
In typography for Mathematics books, what choice should we make for the best
possible result ?

A question better answered by Mikael or Aditya!

Thank you for your trust, Wolfgang. I am not sure I have something
valuable to say in addition to Adityas suggestion \frac{1/3} in inline
math. In any case, I attach a passage, with suggestions inspired by
Lansburgh's book (iin Swedish). Not sure the file size makes it
through to the list, though.

Thank you!

I usually only need simple inline fractions like 1/n, 1/2 or 3/8 in text.
With these and \frac, the spacing below the numerator (depth) is too big, while the denominator sticks too tightly to the fraction bar.
(Of course I use regular numbers for fractions, not mediaeval.)

Usually I’d prefer “vulgar fractions”, but \vulgarfraction looks “horrible” in comparison to the few usual fractions contained in fonts (like ½ & ¾).

I tried to use the OpenType fraction features to no avail.

So I’m still looking for “the best” solution for simple fractions inline.

Hraban

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl /