Am 19.02.24 um 14:14 schrieb Jeroen:
In a textbook I am looking to place a large left margin at every page of each chapter. At left printed pages a left margin and at right printed pages a right margin, so like a double sided construction. In this margin I would like to place:

1. Keywords and small descriptions to emphasize some text from the textflow
2. Figures
3. An expansion of a table that is placed in the main textflow but that needs to cover a wider range then the text area so it expands into the margin

What is the the easiest way to achieve this?

Generally, you use \inmargin, \inouter etc.

Additional to Wolfgang’s suggestions:

If you need sidefloats that cover not only the margin but should decrease the text width, you can move sidefloats into the margin like:

\startplacefigure[title={},location=outer]
\offset[rightoffset=-\marginwidth]{\externalfigure[cow][width=0.5\textwidth]}
\stopplacefigure

Beware: it doesn’t work well with captions (I’ve still no solution that always works), and \offset understands only rightoffset and leftoffset, not outeroffset. The example is on a right page; you must “pull” the image into the margin (rightmargin with negative value), if you try „pushing“ with leftoffset=\marginwidth, the text flow is wrong.

Hraban

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl /