> On 25 Apr 2024, at 09:24, ai2472206...@yeah.net wrote:
>
> But what I don't know is how to get it to inherit the options of other
> commands and perform these features correctly.

Your example didn't work for me - none of the Chinese|Japanese[1] characters
showed.

AFAIK there is no way to "inherit" functionality.

You still need to write \setupsidenote to call \setupcounter, \setupframed at
the right points to achieve the right effects.

What you can do is have \setupsidenote accept all options in one big long list
and then pass the ones that apply to setupcounter to each use of \setupcounter,
pass on the ones that apply to setupframed to each use of \setupframed and so
on.

Thsi is releatively easy in Lua where you could define a list of all possible
commands and which macro they apply to then loop through it looking to see if
that option had been supplied and building a set of parameters for
\setupframed, \setupcounter etc.

Hope this makes sense.

But I feel there's probably a better way - it's a lot of effort to go to in
order to have a single "does it all macro" instead of calling two or three
macros each time.

Regards,

[1] Apologies for my ignorance.
—