On 11/4/05, Hans Hagen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Tobias Wolf wrote:
>
> >My system, as I mentioned, is teTex 3 from Debian unstable, which has
> >a weird new map system that is working through .cfg files in
> >/etc/texmf/updmap.d . I kept it there, so it mounts lm.map itself (is
> >it used anyway in ConText?).
> >

> i don't use updmap at all
>
> context loads map files on demand (when configured in cont-sys.tex)
>
> when no cont-sys.tex is present, then cont-sys.rme is used
>
> the presense of those files in /etc is disturbing (and strange since tex
> has pretty well layed out tree with defined configuration places)
>
> i have no idea how tex + friends can/will locate those files

I think they want to make people use /etc for configuration, which
could make sense if you want to make backups of the system config.
The updmap.d directory is supposed to make mounting maps easier, I
guess. You just drop a file there containing the Map/MixedMap
assignments and that is merged into updmap.cfg on issuing updmap-sys.

Pretty confusing all that.

But on the other hand, Hans, why can't I compile the PDFTex docs
because I don't have this (
http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2004/006705.html )
And secondly, why is the file system searched case sensitive, so that
the fonts are called in lowercase through the ConText maps
(ec-raw-lte5002), so that I have to rename all files, but then
mktextfm fails because it looks for ec-raw-LTe50021?

For me the disturbing things are starting to prevail in my ConText
experience. Is it supposed to be like that?

-- Tobias